While your at-home oral hygiene regimen is the most important part of keeping tooth decay at bay, it doesn’t substitute for regular dental check-ups. The right dentist will make you feel comfortable and help you keep your smile healthy. Even people who dread going to the dentist can enjoy their dental visits more by choosing the best dentist in their area.
But how do you choose the right dentist? How do you know they’re the best dentist in your area? Ridgetop Dental in Reston, VA wants you to know how to find the best dentist in your area.
Choosing The Right Dentist: Where To Start?
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a recommendation. Members of the medical community often know one another and may have preferences in whom they collaborate with. Choosing a dentist that has an existing relationship with your doctor or pharmacy can help you better coordinate treatment.
- Ask friends, family or co-workers for recommendations. There’s a good chance that one of them has a dentist they prefer.
- If you’re moving, ask your current dentist for a recommendation. They may know a colleague in the town or area you are moving to.
- Use the quick and easy search function of the American Dental Association (ADA) website at www.ada.org. Every ADA member dentist has taken a professional oath to put your health and well-being first and deal with all patients ethically and honestly.
What To Look For In A Dentist
Once you’ve gathered a few recommendations, do your research. The best dentists have professional offices and positive reviews, and are committed to protecting their patients’ health. It’s important that you trust your dentist, so take some time to learn more about them before treatment.
Look for professional credentials, such as the American Dental Association (ADA), International Congress of Oral Implantologists, or American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. They may also have been voted as a top dentist by local magazines or community organizations.
Here are a few more things to consider when choosing a dentist:
- Do they accept your dental insurance? This is important.
- Do their office hours fit your schedule?
- Is their office located close to your home or office?
- What is their approach to preventive dentistry?
- What types of anesthesia do they administer?
- What are their procedures for after-hour emergencies? Most dentists have arrangements with a colleague or an emergency referral service.
- Ask them for estimates on some common procedures such as full-mouth X-rays, an oral exam and cleaning, and filling a cavity in case you ever have a lapse in your insurance coverage.
- What is their missed-appointments policy?
Local Dentist in Reston, VA
As with any other medical service provider, you owe it to yourself to make sure you’re choosing the best dentist for you, one that you’ll feel comfortable seeing for checkups and emergencies for years to come.
If you’re in the Reston, VA area and in need of a dentist, perhaps the skilled and professional team at Ridgetop Dental are the providers for you. If you would like to learn more or schedule an exam, please call (571) 313-7010 or schedule a consultation online.