Do you feel that too much of your gum tissue shows when you smile? A gummy smile, clinically called excessive gingival display, can be a source of embarrassment for some of our patients. There are several different treatments available to help reduce the appearance of your gums when you smile. Ridgetop Dental is a Reston, VA dental practice offering gummy smile treatments to help you achieve your cosmetic dentistry goals.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
There are several reasons why you may have a gummy smile:
- Incorrect jaw bone alignment: The jaw bone may extend further than it should, causing the gums to look longer.
- Upper lip muscles: You may have overactive upper lip muscles that pull your lip up too high when smiling, showing more of your gums underneath.
- Abnormal tooth development: Teeth may not extend far enough beyond the gum line but are actually the normal length.
Treatment Options For Gummy Smiles
There are many causes for a gummy smile, so the treatment required will depend on the cause:
- Crown Lengthening: This procedure requires the removal of gum tissue and bone to allow the gums to retract to the appropriate position and reveal more of the tooth structure. This treatment may be performed when the teeth are not fully erupted.
- Laser Gum Contouring: This procedure can effectively remove excess gum tissues using dental lasers. Patients can achieve their ideal smile with minimal bleeding, faster healing, and natural looking results.
- Gum Lift: A gum lift, clinically called a gingivectomy, is a common cosmetic procedure used to reduce excess gum tissue. In this procedure, we use advanced dental lasers to gently remove excess gum tissue and reshape the gum line to create an aesthetically pleasing smile.
Reston, VA Cosmetic Dentistry
The right treatment depends on an accurate diagnosis based on an individual evaluation of your smile. Schedule your appointment online or call our office at (571) 313-7010 to start restoring balance to your smile.