Many say that your smile is the first thing other people notice about you. In many cases, when people seek cosmetic treatment, it is because they are unhappy with the appearance of their smile. One of the most common cosmetic concerns is a gummy smile.
A gummy smile occurs when a patient’s smile has an unproportionate ratio of gum tissue to teeth. Either the teeth appear too short, or the gum tissue seems to cover too much of the teeth, and thus giving the appearance of a gummy smile.
With advancements in modern dentistry, there is a wider range of treatment options available to fix a gummy smile. If a gummy smile impacts your confidence, you may want to explore some of your treatment options. Visit Ridgetop Dental Reston to explore more treatment options for a gummy smile than ever before. Dr. Datta and our team offer experienced, personalized treatment to help you achieve your ideal smile. We are committed to helping you restore beauty and balance to your smile while improving your overall oral health.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
A gummy smile can be the result of several factors, including gum tissue, facial muscles, the size of your lips, and the shape of your teeth. Uncovering the underlying cause of your gummy smile can help your dentist recommend the best solution for you.
These are the most common reasons for a gummy smile:
- An abnormal tooth eruption. The teeth may appear too short because they didn’t erupt properly and are partially covered by the gum tissue.
- Worn teeth can make the gums look longer in comparison.
- The upper lip is too small
- Enlarged or extended gums (excess gum tissue)
- The upper jaw is overextended which causes the gums to protrude out
A beautiful smile is all about harmony and proportion. When one part of your smile is out of sync, the whole smile is affected.
In many cases, the main cause of a gummy smile is genetic, so there isn’t much to be done about prevention. However, at Ridgetop Dental Reston, we offer a complete range of treatments to fix a gummy smile. Undergoing a dental evaluation can help us determine the best solution for you.
How To Treat A Gummy Smile
Our team will need to determine the underlying cause of your gummy smile to create the best treatment plan for you. Once we establish the cause of your gummy smile, we can recommend the best form of treatment for your smile.
Treatment Options May Include:
- Gum Lift: A gum lift also referred to as a gingivectomy, is a common cosmetic procedure used to reduce excess gum tissue. In this procedure, we use advanced dental lasers to gently remove excess gum tissue and reshape the gum line to create an aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Laser Gum contouring: This procedure can effectively remove excess gum tissues using dental lasers. Patients can achieve their ideal smile with minimal bleeding, faster healing, and natural looking results.
- Crown Lengthening: This procedure requires the removal of gum tissue and bone to allow the gums to retract to the appropriate position and reveal more of the tooth structure. This treatment may be performed when the teeth are not fully erupted.
Treatments for a gummy smile can range from simple to complex. Our team at Ridgetop Dental Reston can work with you to find the right solution for your smile. If you would like to learn more about your options, call (571) 313-7010 or request an appointment online.