Gum Contouring An Overview
The gums are an essential aspect of the overall health and appearance of your smile. Gums that are too long, too short, or misshapen can cause aesthetic and structural concerns. Many factors can impact the health and contour of the gum line. Your cosmetic dentist in Reston VA is well-equipped to address your gum issues.
Gummy Smiles: Some patients have a gummy smile where the gum line covers too much of the surface of the tooth. A gummy smile is more commonly an aesthetic concern which can cause the smile to appear unbalanced. In some instances, a gummy smile can make it difficult for patients to receive certain dental restorations. We can minimize the appearance of a gummy smile with laser dentistry.
Gum Recession: Gum recession is often a result of advanced gum disease. The gum line becomes inflamed and begins to peel away from teeth. Over time the gum line becomes pushed up, exposing too much of the tooth and even compromising the stability of the teeth. Gum recession increases the risk of tooth loss. In advanced cases of gum recession, we may recommend gum grafting to restore health and beauty to your gums.
Gum graft surgery involves the removal of tissue from the roof of the moth and placing it on the gum line to create a more symmetrical smile, as seen here.
Gum Contouring with Laser Dentistry
Gum contouring is a procedure that changes the shape and appearance of the gum line. Patients who may need gum contouring may have excess gum tissue that can lead to a gummy smile or receding gums that may expose too much of the teeth.
Ridgetop Dental uses advanced laser therapy to reshape the gum line. Laser dentistry has replaced traditional gum surgery, an invasive surgical procedure that required sutures and long downtimes. By using laser dentistry, Dr. Datta can restore the gum line, creating a balanced, natural and healthy gum line. Laser treatment promotes the body’s natural healing response and improves the condition and wellness of the gums.
Our team can assess each patient’s needs and create a personalized treatment plan. Whenever applicable, patients choose laser dentistry because it offers many benefits for their gum and overall dental health.
The Benefits of Laser Dentistry Include:
- No scalpels and in most cases no sutures
- Less pain and discomfort
- Minimal bleeding or swelling
- Little to no downtime
- Accurate treatment
- Stimulate healing response
The shape of your gums can completely transform your smile. Excessive gum tissue can make your teeth look too small or uneven, and can ultimately affect your self-confidence.
Gum lift, also known as gingivectomy, is a cosmetic treatment used to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile. A gum lift requires your dentist to manipulate the gum line to achieve a more attractive smile. Traditional gum lifts are a safe and effective way to reshape your gums and compliment your smile.
The gums are reshaped for many reasons:
- Some patients have gums that did not recede properly after the emergence of their permanent teeth.
- Patients with veneers may need to reshape the gum tissue to achieve a natural looking smile.
- Gums recede too much, causing the teeth to look longer than they are.
- May have experienced excess growth in gum tissue due to medication.
At Ridgetop Dental Reston, we perform gum lifts by laser dentistry and traditional gum surgery. Our team will determine which method is right for you.
- Gum Lift By Laser Dentistry: A dental laser can efficiently remove excess gum tissue. Dental lasers can sterilize the affected area as it eliminates excess gum tissue, promote natural healing, seal tissue, and minimize bleeding after treatment. This minimally invasive method is quick, efficient, and yields natural-looking results.
- Gum Lift By Surgery: Traditional gum lift is performed using a dental scalpel. With the scalpel, your dentist carefully removes excess gum tissue to create a balanced and symmetrical gum line. This process is performed under local anesthetic. We make every effort to ensure you are comfortable and relaxed throughout all phases of your dental care.
Whether performed alone or as part of a personalized smile makeover, a gum lift can restore beauty to your smile and improve your confidence. If you would like to fix a gummy smile, contact our Reston, VA dentist office for a consultation. We offer experienced dental care for patients would like to enhance the appearance of their natural smile.